The best thing about book blogging for me has got to be, undoubtedly, meeting other book bloggers and book lovers from around the world. I feel so lucky that the internet is a thing! I have met so many passionate bookworms because of it and I’m so, so happy to be a part of such an inviting and friendly community! Around a month ago, Lindsey from Reeder Reads and I started commenting back and forth on our blogs and she actually nominated me for a Liebster Award! Thank you so much, Lindsey! For those of you who have never heard of it, a Liebster Award is a way for bloggers to spread the love. Those who are nominated can choose 11 facts about themselves to share with their readers along with answers to 11 questions that were asked by those who nominated them! You can see Lindsey’s post on her Liebster Award here!
So, here are some random facts about me:
- When I was younger, my dream was to go to the Winter Olympics for figure skating.
- I learned that electronics and water don’t mix the hard way — by lovingly giving my Tamagotchi a bath as a kid. (RIP, Tamagotchi.)
- My favourite place to read in the home I grew up in was in the kitchen in a corner between the wall and the fridge.
- I never drink piping hot drinks; I usually wait at least 10-15 minutes before drinking something hot!
- I currently do not own a bookshelf so there are books in piles EVERYWHERE.
- When I was a teenager, I lived in Hong Kong for around 6 years.
- I LOVE playing games (board games, video games, card games, you name it!) and I can get pretty competitive about it… (except for Catan — I’m terrible)
- I am a HUGE fan of puns. If you also like puns, chances are we’ll get along really well.
- I lived in British Columbia from grade 10 to the end of university and it is seriously one of the most gorgeous provinces I have ever lived in. (The picture above was taken behind the Museum of Anthropology at UBC. Look at those mountains!!)
- I watch a lot of reality TV but I’ll never admit it.
- For two years in university I lived with 5 roommates and I loved every single second of it.
Now, my questions from Lindsey!
- What is the one book you could never ever part with or get rid off?
Now that it’s signed and dedicated to me, I don’t think I’ll ever be able to part with my copy of All My Puny Sorrows by Miriam Toews. I was hyperventilating inside when I met her.
- Paper books or eBooks? Why?
It’s funny; when I was nominated for this award a month ago (whoops!) I still didn’t have an e-reader so my answer would have been paper books 100% because I didn’t know any different. But now it’s harder to choose. Ultimately, I will have to say paper books win because I love feeling something tangible. Plus, authors can’t sign e-books!
- If you could travel to one place in the world (all expenses paid), where would it be and why?
I would have to say Hong Kong. My mom and sister live there so it would be amazing to visit them. It’s been two years since I’ve seen them in person.
- If you could meet one author (dead or alive), who would it be and why?
I know this is an easy answer, but it’s got to be J.K. Rowling. She was a huge part of my childhood and even teenage years so I would choose her. I’m kind of cheating but I want to add that I would have loved to meet Oscar Wilde too.
- Do you play music while you read?
Nope! If I did I would just end up having my own dance party/karaoke night instead!
- If you could create a dish with any cookbook author, who would you want to cook with?
This is a hard one. I don’t actually read very many cookbooks so I’m not sure!
- If you were given $5000 to spend in one store in the world, where would you do your shopping?
I would probably go to a furniture store and buy myself beautiful bookshelves.
- Do you have a favourite quote? Can you share it with us?
This is one that I have loved for a long time: “Never tell anybody anything. If you do, you start missing everybody.” (Holden Caulfield from The Catcher in the Rye.)
- If you had to be a member of a literary family, which family would you join?
Hmmm, good question. Maybe the March family from Little Women? The sisters look like they have a lot of fun together!
- Do you have a bad habit when reading? Twirling hair? Clicking your tongue? Tapping your foot?
I’m not aware of any bad habits on that front, but whenever something big happens I do like to hop on to Goodreads to jot down my feelings and sometimes the internet pulls me in and distracts me… so I think that’s a bad habit that I have.
- Who is the one author or book that has changed the way you read?
I don’t even remember which book it was but it was early on in my reading career when I came across my first unreliable narrator. Now, it’s almost impossible for me to not wonder “Is this person being truthful right now?” at least for a second.
I hope you had fun reading my answers! If you want to know even more about me, I have another set of Liebster Award answers here.
1. How long have you been blogging/booktubing? What made you want to start?
2. Have you always been a reader or was reading a hobby that developed as you grew up?
3. Do you have any books that you attribute your love of reading to? Are there any titles that were really influential to you?
4. What is your favourite part about having a book blog/booktube channel?
5. Do you have a specific way that you organize your bookshelves? If so, what made you choose that system?
6. What is one thing about you that most of your readers/viewers don’t know?
7. Do you annotate your books or do you like to keep them clean and pristine?
8. Does a book’s cover influence whether you pick up the book or not? Have you read any books despite not liking its cover and been surprised by how much you liked the contents?
9. Where is your favourite place to read?
10. What upcoming 2014 book are you most excited to read?
11. What book do you wish everyone would read?
Thanks for reading! And thank you again to Lindsey for nominating me – it’s been a lot of fun answering these questions!